Sunday, August 2, 2009

Black Sapote


A digression. Most people who know me well will know that when it comes to food I am only too happy to try anything different. As BF reminds me she remembers me eating raw sea urchins in Greece - something I have not repeated! I knew that at this time of the year most tropical fruits would not be in season so when I saw black sapote I knew that I had to try them. Fortunately the young man who had them on his stall was happy not only to give me 3 samples but also to tell me how to ripen them and when they would be ready to eat. They are picked when still hard and like to ripen in a dark place. When ripe they are very soft, a bit like a persimmon, and have a dark black flesh which is almost like the soft part of a chocolate brownie. They are often used to flavour ice cream or in smoothies. As we are unable to have either I have been eating them with other fruit or with plain yoghurt. A burst of tropical flavour.

1 comment:

  1. you know i have inherited this. i am now known for eating strange things overseas. not things for other's seas of course.....

    ReplyDelete